Tuesday, October 8, 2019

MN to AK

Somewhere between Canada and Alaska 1994
It's hard to believe that 25 has passed since my first trip up the Alaska Highway. I never dreamed I would have this amazing opportunity. I was just a girl from small town Minnesota, heading to St. Cloud State for college. I had a vision for my future. I was in control. I had a plan.

But little did I know that God also had a plan. A plan that would take me 3,000+ miles from home to a small town in Alaska. A plan that would take me out of my current situation into a beautiful place where I would find new friends, new purpose but most importantly, my way back to God. And His plan was exponentially better.

Fall 1994




I spent the next 6 months at Alaska Bible Institute in Homer, Alaska where I faced some of the hardest challenges of my life. I lived on an average of $10/month and put that money toward my daily Ramen dinner, personal supplies, and with what was left, I spent on "fun." I ran almost every day-rain or shine, through snow, cold, and wind. The ONLY thing that ever deterred me was a moose on my path. Pro tip: They always win!
Minnesota -Summer 2019



My friend Tracy and I were in an avalanche. That was the first time in my life where I truly experienced the power of prayer. I remember trying to stop myself as I was flying down. I finally came to a point where I knew there was nothing I could do in my own power, so I did the only thing I could and called out to God, "Just stop me. I can't stop myself. I know I can't stop myself." And He did. When we reflect back on that event, we can see how protected we were. There were so many rocks and trees we could have hit on the way down, and both of us stopped just shy of slamming into a huge boulder. Tracy was buried under the snow and I was covered up to my neck. It was frightening to feel so paralyzed, so trapped. But eventually, we were rescued and miraculously unscathed. 

In May 2000, Keith and I  traveled up the Alaskan Highway and spent a beautiful month on our journey. My hope is to take our kids up there someday soon before they leave home. 

I love to talk all things Alaska. If you ever want to hear more about my story, drop me a message or leave me a comment, and after we chat, I'd be happy to help you pack for your trip!! :)















No comments:

Post a Comment